Most married couples go through some relationship difficulties from time to time. However, it’s not always easy to know when difficulties can put your marriage at risk.
If you are struggling with your marriage, it is worth asking for help. The therapists at Heal Your Roots Wellness can help you. Our therapists can encourage you to talk about what’s troubling you. You can talk in a safe and welcoming environment. Contact Heal Your Roots Wellness today at (484) 800-1652 so you can work on reconnecting with your spouse.
Do You Need Marriage Counseling?
You might need marriage counseling if you:
- Are not communicating with your spouse – Many relationship difficulties involve communication challenges. We can help you to find new ways to communicate with your spouse.
- You’re afraid to talk to them – Some issues can be too hard to talk about. It does not matter what they are, they can seem very problematic. We can help you to overcome this issue so you can both understand what needs to be said and heard. We can also help you to achieve this in a safe environment where you can feel free to express yourself.
- When you talk you always feel negative – You might feel shamed, judged, or disregarded, or even insecure when you speak with your spouse. The tone at which you speak matters in a conversation. Negative communication can result in emotional abuse. We can help you to communicate in a more positive way, no matter how you or your spouse is feeling.
- If you always argue over the same things – Everyone has different trigger behaviors. Some things can almost drive you crazy when they would not be an issue for anyone else. We can help you to discuss all of the issues you are having, and work out the real root of them all. This can help you and your partner to work towards a more amicable future and a better relationship.
- When they or you withhold affection as a form of punishment – Some people withhold affection so that they can punish someone else. Silent treatment, for example, is a form of punishment and it creates an imbalance in the relationship. We can help you to understand why this is happening and encourage you to work around it.
- If you live very separate lives – Some couples eventually grow to be more like friends than a married couple. It doesn’t necessarily mean that the relationship is in trouble. Behaving like this means they are co-existing rather than living together. We can help you to work on your intimacy, conversation, and communication so you become close again.
- When you start to keep secrets from them – While each person has the right to some privacy, if you keep secrets from each other, it means there could be an issue. We can help you work on this in a safe environment where you can express yourself freely.
- If you feel that things would be better if they changed – If you are waiting for your spouse to change, you’re going to be disappointed. The only person you can change is yourself. We can help you to work on what you want from your spouse and what they want from you.
- When you consider or you are having an affair – If you consider having an affair it means you’re looking for something different. It is perfectly possible to save a relationship after someone has had an affair. Both of you need to be committed to having marriage counseling so you can save your marriage or decide that it will be better for you if you move on.
- If you are no longer intimate – The intimacy that you had when you met your spouse will not last. However, if there have been some major changes to your intimacy levels there is a sign that something could be wrong. Let us help you to deal with your intimacy issues in a safe environment.
- When you are not financially faithful – If one of you controls the money or you keep your spending a secret, it could cause problems. Both parties should be able to talk freely about their finances and the finances you both deal with. If there is an objection to this, we can help you to work out what is causing this conflict.
How Effective Is Marriage Counseling?
Marriage counseling is more likely to work if you deal with the issues as soon as possible. The earlier you do, it means your marriage is more likely to be saved. This is especially the case if you are committed to working through any issues you might be having.
This is good news because if both parties are willing to work on their relationship there is a good chance that the marriage can get through this rough patch..
Of course, you don’t need to be on the edge of a break-up to have marriage counseling. You can come to us if you have a few concerns or you merely want to explore your relationship.
Some married couples might have already given up on the relationship. This means that any counseling they might receive could help them to see their relationship clearly. They could feel that they have made the right decision to give up on the relationship. This means they could be looking for a more amicable divorce.
However, it’s important to note that this is not the case for all relationships. Some people might go into marriage counseling expecting to end the relationship only to find that they want to stick with it.
Every couple is different which means every couple will have a different outcome. Those who truly want their relationship to work are likely to find a way.
How To Get The Most Out Of Marriage Counseling
- Understand that the therapy is about your marriage, and how each of you contribute to the conflicts and success of your relationship
- Talk with your spouse about your relationship goals before you have counseling
- Be willing to work on your relationship
- Be willing to work on yourself
If you do all of the above, you are much more likely to get a lot out of marriage counseling. While it might be hard, marriage counseling could also be one of the best things you have ever done.
What Will You Learn About You And Your Partner?
If you choose to have marriage counseling, you will learn a lot about yourself and your partner.
Things you might learn about your partner:
That your partner is not perfect
We can have expectations of the person we are married to. However, they are not infallible and might not know they have made mistakes. Your partner will also learn that you are not perfect and you can make mistakes. It’s important that you both understand mistakes can be made but we can learn from them and grow.
How your partner feels valued
Some people get value from the words other people use, others feel valued when they receive gifts. Everyone is different, and everyone will react to romantic gestures or soothing words differently. You might learn something new about your partner or even yourself. If you know how to show someone that they are valued it gives the relationship a fighting chance.
How your partner deals with conflict
Everyone deals with conflict in different ways. Unfortunately, we all spend time thinking about how we deal with conflict. We don’t tend to focus on how the person we love responds. What you learn about your partner in this respect could surprise you.
How your partner communicates
Some people wear their hearts on their sleeves, others are more introverted. During marriage counseling, you will learn how your spouse communicates with you and others. You will also learn how they approach you with their desires and needs. This is crucial to a healthy marriage.
Will any Kind of Health Insurance Work for Couples Therapy?
Unfortunately not. As we have already said, many insurance equity laws do not tend to apply when it comes to couples therapy. This is because mental health parity laws always treat mental health conditions as a medical condition. What this means is that couples therapy is not considered to be a requirement as part of a medical diagnosis. In other words, it cannot be compared to any physical health condition.
This is why it is so important that you do your research. If you would like to have couples therapy, you need to know if your insurance will pay for some or all of it. At the time of writing. Heal Your Roots Wellness accepted Highmark Blue Shield plans. Please note, Heal Your Roots Wellness cannot guarantee that any claim you may make for out-of-network reimbursement will be met.
Contact Us Today For A Marriage Counseling Consultation
If you think you need marriage counseling or you want to find out more, please contact us.
When do you need marriage counseling? This depends on you, the person you’re married to, and your relationship as a whole. You do not need to be on the edge of getting a divorce to have marriage counseling. You can come to us if you’re simply looking for some advice or guidance.
We are here to help you whether you have been married for one month or 50 years.
Contact Heal Your Roots Wellness today at (484) 800-1652 so you can work on reconnecting with the person you fell in love with. Let us help you to work on your marriage in a safe and open environment. Contact us today for a marriage counseling consultation.